For anyone having trouble snagging essential items, such as Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, during the quarantine lock-in, there are methods that may help secure them. The COVID-19 outbreak has led to an unprecedented shutdown of whole countries and industries around the world. The resulting chaos has led to a shortage of many household supplies, especially those pertaining to cleaning up or sanitizing. With Clorox Wipes reportedly unavailable in stores until summer, shoppers are trying their chances online.
The most popular place to start is of course Amazon. You may have already discovered, however, that the items you want never seem to be in stock. With some perseverance, luck, and a few tricks, you’ll snag that box of Clorox Wipes in no time. This has helped us several times during the current pandemic, and we’ve been able to stock up on items that have been sold out for weeks on Amazon. Here’s how:
The Basics / Pre-requisites
For the purposes of simplicity, we’ll be using “Clorox Wipes” to also include Lysol Wipes, which are comparable products that do the same thing.
- The most basic thing you can do is to keep searching periodically throughout the day for the product you want. Something like Bounty paper towels or Clorox Wipes disappear almost as soon as they’re available.
- Make sure the default payment method on your Amazon account is set prior to searching, so you don’t waste any time when you find an item that’s available. If you do stumble across an item and your primary payment method is not set to the one you want at the time, you should still pull the trigger on buying first. You can always return to “Order Details” on your Amazon account, then modify the payment method.
- Use the ‘Buy Now’ option instead of adding the item to cart, to shave off a few precious seconds and steps.
Let’s say that you see that an item is available, but the second you click on the product page or Add to Cart, it is already marked as unavailable. Then what?
- Stay on the product page of the item you want and keep refreshing.
- A lot of times, people are cancelling orders or things aren’t going through, so at any second, that item might open up again. Usually, I will refresh multiple times even after it says a product is sold out. Within the first few minutes of the status changing to “Currently unavailable,” there is a good chance that the status can change back to “Available.”
- If you refresh and see the change to “Available,” you should be able to add to cart, though as mentioned, “Buy Now” is the faster and preferable method. If you do not see either of those options, but do see “Available from these sellers,” click “these sellers” or “See All Buying Options.”
- Under “Offers for this product,” you may see the item listed and the vendor that sells it. If you do not, you can keep refreshing until you do.
- You should also see “Offers for this product and similar products.” This too has yielded me results that I didn’t see on my initial search of the item. Ie: I was on the product page for a 3-pack of Clorox wipes, but the similar products page has a 2-pack or 4-pack listed.
- Another great method on Amazon is to check Amazon Pantry for the specific items. I have found items under Amazon Pantry that I did not see on my normal Amazon search results. Note that there is a $5.99 shipping fee for orders under $35. So that you don’t waste time looking for random other items to fill your cart when you see that Clorox Wipes listing, pre-load your Pantry Cart with other items you know you’ll need soon. This way, the second those Clorox Wipes come out, you can press that one item then checkout right away.
- If there is a “Subscribe & Save” option, it may be a good idea to select this. Pre-pandemic, I had Charmin’ toilet paper subscribed bi-monthly in bulk. Once the outbreak came, I was not able to secure a new order as I could never find a listing. However, I checked one day to see that my subscribe order had gone through on its own. It seems that the second it was made available, Amazon took care of it for me.
- If you are buying non-Lysol or non-Clorox brands that you’ve never heard of, please double check to make sure they are disinfectants, rather than just wipes for screens or hands. This is a very important distinction because regular wet wipes or screen wipes will most likely do nothing to kill the virus.
- Shipping times may vary, as hospitals are being prioritized for these items.
As an example, it has already been a month since I ordered this item above, and it will not arrive for another 5 days (It just shipped today). My Pantry order for Clorox, however, arrived within a week of ordering.
Prior to finding success on Amazon, I would routinely check the Staples and Costco websites and do the ‘refresh’ and check game there. However, I found that I never managed to find an item before it sold out immediately, and shifting through multiple same sites felt tiresome. Once I shifted my focus to Amazon, it started to work out way better. Whether it’s to wipe down packages received through the mail, or groceries, or even your home office, Clorox Wipes have become an essential item during these times. Best of luck on your search!